Monday, 2 July 2007

Park Hill Water Tower Photo



Two of my favourite shots with my fuji has to be a pic of the old park hill water tower which i took the other week when it was sunny





Pic's taken with a Fuji FinePix F40fd
More photos at Eyerex.co.uk

Bit of history
Text from croydononline.org
Built 1867
This extremely prominent building located in Park Hill Recreation Ground can be seen all over the Borough. It was erected in 1867 and designed by Baldwin Latham, Borough Engineer, in a brick Norman style. The 75 foot diameter structure was built to contain 950,000 gallons of water, its dome being entirely constructed from intricate brickwork.
The tower was opened to the public as a viewing platform in 1889.
During the First World War the tower's lofty heights were an excellent vantage point for the observation of approaching hostile Zeppelins, fires, excessive lighting, and weather. The building was listed Grade 2 in 1970 but has had the tanks and timber removed. It still stands as a landmark for the people of Croydon and the surrounding area.

1 comment:

davechapman said...

I can see this tower from my livingroom window! It's also on twitter, one of very few historical buildings that tweet I believe. I have got hold of a Polaroid SX 70 camera so I plan to go up and take pictures on the next nice day :-)